Friday, October 28, 2011

Mighty Oaks Begin Their Show Early Winter Paints the Landscape White!!


The Autumn landscape now wears russet and deep golden hues.

As strong tall Oaks free their true colors. 


This morning the landscape and gardens were tossed ahead a few months into winter temperatures and snow! 
Most unusual for this time of year.






This young buck forages through the wet snow. 
I love the way one of his budding antlers is directly poised 'side by side' with a plant stalk. 


By late morning the snow begins to melt and fall from the greatly relieved shrubs and trees. 
Like throwing off a heavy coat!

I am thankful to see green again along with the shades of Autumn. 
I found it quite astounding . . .  the difference in my mood . . . seeing the white melting away into the colorful palette again. 


High up in the naked Rock Maple a year round resident adult Red-shouldered Hawk fluffs up his feather coat. 
He gives me a glaring once-over, before placing his gaze upon the garden floor. 


His russet front mirrors the returning Autumn palette now mostly filling the landscape . . . 
 as it should be on an October morning.



Swooping down for some prey in the garden. Hopefully a rabbit or vole.





I could not see if he caught anything. 

Each day grows side by side another. Never knowing how one will compare from  the other.  I suppose it makes life more adventurous that way, though I would rather not have winter on what I expect to be an Autumn day. It is down right rude of winter. Tomorrow we are to be treated to another winter storm! 
I thought I saw some early winter snow in Sweden awhile back. Visit Katarina to see what might be 'sida vid sida' there. 





25 comments:

AnnCharlotte said...

I really hope the snow will wait for a long time...
I live in the south of Sweden where it isn´t all winters that come with snow, but the two last ones we had a lot.....
Have a great weekend :)

Larry said...

Carol... I always love your posts but truth be told... they do make me homesick for New England! Wonderful today as always! Larry

Patsy said...

Sure hope you will be much better soon. your post is beautiful.

Julie Stone said...

I LOVE the photos of the hawk! It's beautiful! I think it's actually a Red Shouldered Hawk though. Broad Wings have pretty much all migrated south by now, Red Shoulders are typically year round residents. The rusty color on the breast is the other clue.

sandy said...

I heard you were going to get snow yesterday. It looks good on your space!

Elephant's Eye said...

It's not just me? That is unusually early for you to have snow?

Gardeningbren said...

White in the sky ...white on the ground..first snow.. beauty abounds. Here comes winter.

Be well.

Mia said...

Snow this time of year is a bit too early I guess but it's waiting right behind the corner.. Somehow your pictures today mad me think about A dance with the wolfes.. A beautiful landscape you're showing us :)

Basil Becky said...

In Kentucky..this has been a wonderful colerful year!!

Gillian Olson said...

Wow, snow already. Beautiful pictures to record the day.

Lena/isis said...

Wow ......wonderful pictures. Lena/isis

Gail said...

What a shock it must have been to you and the critters. But, oh so beautiful. Have a sweet and warmer weekend dear carol. xogail

rkbsnana said...

I love your photographs and photography, especially one of the budding antler aside the plant stalk. Uplifting video as well. As I just "found" your blog wish you return to good health so I can see more.

Gela said...

Love your pictures! Have a nice weekend/Gela

easygardener said...

The Autumn colours are beautiful - though that covering of snow made me shiver :-)

Curbstone Valley Farm said...

Goodness, I wasn't expecting snow, not yet! It is beautiful though seeing the landscape draped in white.

I'd almost forgotten about oaks having fall color. Here we only have Live Oaks, so they stay green all year (and don't have very classic oak leaf shapes either), but I grew up with deciduous oaks, and rather miss them this time of year. Your fortunate to have so many in view.

Helens trädgård said...

So many beautiful pictures, like autumn's warm colors.

Wish you a nice weekend!

Tammie Lee said...

snow cloaking autumn is incredibly beautiful. your images are a delight to see, something soothing about the autumn beauty.

Tatyana@MySecretGarden said...

Oh, Carol!It is sad and dramatically beautiful at the same time - to see the snow on the fall plants! Wonderful place you have there, any time of the year! You stay warm!!!

Sophia Callmer said...

Strange with the snow! BEautiful autumnlandscape in the first pictures, I love the landsscapes shape and colours.
kram Sophia

jayneonweedstreet said...

Love your photos of the hawk. WOnder if this snow has been a wake up call for wild life! What must their instincts be telling them?

Heather@RestoringTheLandscape.com said...

Carol,
I hope all your trees survived the extra load of snow. This snow is more typical for us than you. Love the hawk photos.
Heather

Renate said...

Wunderbare Bilder habe ich hier gesehen - sehr schön und interessant!
.... und Schnee gibt es asuch schon!!!!!

Liebe Grüße aus der BRD/Saarland

Renate

Katarina said...

We're experiencing an unusually mild autumn, right now. Weather seems to have lost its routine - snow in New York and almost summer in Sweden...strange!

Eva said...

Now that we're on the other side of the storm and power has been restored, I can finally let you know how many times I used your phrase "down right rude of winter." The images of the hawk are stunning. And I loved the clip of "Side by Side." You always surprise and delight. Here's to the return of autumn in New England!

Related Posts with Thumbnails