Friday, February 15, 2013

Flower Hill Farm Butterflies of 2012 ~ Mating Pearl Crescents


As with last winter, it is fun to look back over the vibrant colors and fragile beauties of the past season's flora and fauna. I have shared a bit of the gardens and now for a bit of romance amongst butterflies just a day after Valentine's Day. 
I begin 'Butterflies of 2012' with the strikingly patterned Pearl Crescent, Phyciodes tharos, and share a warm summer afternoon of observing these tiny butterflies as they flit about the north field mating.


 This particular sighting was interesting as a third Pearl Crescent would tag along with the mating couple. . . I suppose wishful thinking is at play . . . a standby . . . but rather voyeuristic, much like the way I feel. I would love to know what is going on in that minuscule brain for the pair seem quite attached.









Last year in my Butterfly Review I wrote a bit extensively about these small butterflies in a piece here and also here. The second link takes us back to a day in 2010 when I was enchanted by hundreds of Pearl Crescents darting about the middle meadow garden.

There is a good deal of love about and I feel acres of it for my new fifteen day old grandson that I held for the first time tonight . . . after a nine hour drive from Massachusetts. What a joy and miracle life is.

Wishing you all flowering fields of love. 

The rose is red, the violet's blue.
The honey's sweet, and so are you.
Thou art my love, and I am thine;
I drew thee to my Valentine:
The lot was cast, and then I drew,
And fortune said it should be you.

 Gammer Gurton's Garland or The Nursery Parnassus
A Choice Collection of Pretty Songs and Verses for
the Amusement of all Little Good Children
who can neither read nor run.

London, 1810

12 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Dearest Carol:
How lovely this post is as a reminder that love really does exist throughout the world in so many very different forms. And, as always, what amazing photographs. Your patience is incredible.

Congratulations on becoming a grandmother and we are so delighted that you have now been able to see, and hold, your small grandson.

marijke said...

A wonderful post Carol. I love the butterfly's. Have a wonderful time with your grandchild.
Have a wonderful weekend.

Rosemary said...

Dear Carol - a lovely butterfly prelude leading on to the special announcement of your new grandson.
Glad the snow cleared away sufficiently for you to make the long journey to see him - congratulations.

Anja said...

Kära Carol!
A true love story...gorgeous fairy tale! I just love your post today!

Kram! Anja

Maureen said...

Hi Carol
Congratulations on the birth of your grandson.
The butterfly pictures are beautiful, Your blog and pictures are inspirational
Best wishes
Maureen

debsgarden said...

Congratulations on the birth of a new grandchild! And belated Happy Valentine's day to you! Your photography is always a delight. I especially love that last photo.

Eva said...

Who says Valentine's Day comes once a year? Your post just extends the one day we focus of LOVE . . . well worth keeping it going. From mating Pearl Crescents to that sweetest of rhymes—perfection! I join others in a heartfelt Congratulations! I know you're enjoying every minute.

Sarah Laurence said...

Mating butterflies are perfect for Valentine's Day. Congratulations on your new grandson - very exciting!

thevioletfern.com said...

Congratulations Carol on your new grandson! How I have missed visiting Flower Hill. I am never disappointed by the beauty you share.

sharon said...

what great shots!!

Tammie Lee said...

ah grand mama,
that is a new word for me 'grand mama' maybe that is what i will ask to be called ;-)
I am so very happy for you and your family and the love that is filling your heart and life with a grand son.

thank you for sharing these lovely images!

Tammie Lee said...

also the poem is lovely ~

Related Posts with Thumbnails