Friday, July 26, 2013

A Play of Light and Whites in A Late June Garden Walkabout


I am offering a rather long, mostly silent, walkabout but one that promises a flora and fauna feast for the senses. Plenty of textures to tickle the imagination along with delicious fragrances and bright refractions within butterfly wings.  

Walking though the gardens here at Flower Hill Farm in mid to late June can be intoxicating and enchanting. While strolling and scrolling down, be sure to imagine a gentle breeze blowing through leaves and fronds . . . the greenery in continual movement . . . a verdure river of vegetation. The air gently caressing your skin and hair, while delivering or wafting nature's exclusive perfume . . .  no artificial chemicals here . . .  to your alert olfactory organs. Clouds, slowly forming, hang in the vast canopy of azure sky above.  No nagging mosquitoes or flies . . . for the Tree Swallows, you will note, are gently sweeping the sky, while dragonflies zigzag by. 

Also, put your mind to music and conjure up a chorus of songs. Indigo Bunting singing out from atop a Black Cherry, Bluebird murmurs and trebles of Cedar Waxwings in unison, along with countless other calls floating through the boughs of trees and shrubberies as birds dash about from nest to blueberry field. Add to these sounds the humming of bees and cheeps of nestlings from within tall grasses or plantings, as well as, above in the arms of trees. 

For color . . .  there is a focus . . . a play of mostly whites within and above the greens. Kousa Dogwood, Sweet Fern, Goat's Beard, Budding Bugbane or Cimicifuga, another native I have forgotten - rather like a fringe tree only a perennial, Tree Lilac, Hydrangeas, Mock orange, Climbing Hydrangea, Viburnum and more add texture and delight along this walkabout. 

One cannot miss the many butterflies that flit about and at this time, thirty or more larger, Tiger Swallowtails may flutter into view and light upon a favored delicious white bloom. Numerous others are about . . . too many to name for now, but I have added an Admiral, a Fritillary and a Sulphur for those who share my thrill for Lepidoptera. As you stand near the large Hydrangeas, you will no doubt notice the bustle of native bees . . . the whir of the busy pollinators seems to make the bushes vibrate.

Enough of the introduction . . . you are entering fragments of a living landscape painting. My apologies for too many words to read and far too many images to see. You are now in control of the tour and your preferred speed to scroll. Enjoy the stroll. 
































After walking along the grassy paths up and down hillocks and through fields and shrubberies, I should love to offer you a cup of tea and perhaps we could chat about your experience or I could do my best to answer any questions . . . perhaps someday you may step out of the virtual into the real world of Flower Hill Farm. I should love to welcome you. 

A play of white continues into the July garden next week. Thank you for visiting!

10 comments:

Breathtaking said...

Your trees and shrubs heavy with white blossom, look lushious amonst the greenery. White and blue flowers are my favourite colours in the garden, and they certainly enhance the already beautiful scenery in yours.Lovely pictures Carol:)

Eva said...

What a sweet and sincere invitation—virtual or real. For now, the virtual tour was a delight. I love how it began, walking out the door, into the gardens. As I scrolled down, I took note of my favorites; but by the time I reached the end, there were too many. My memory, however, lingers on the Philadelphus and butterfly. I love how you frame so many of the photos with tree limbs. From distant views to those close up, I enjoyed it all. And now, ending with the moon and the mist have set me in a very dreamy mood.

Bernie H said...

I would love to accept your invitation. Maybe one day I'll make it over to your part of the world. Flower Hill Farm would definitely be on my must-see list.

Larry said...

Such a beautiful post Carol. yours are always among the finest that I follow. I'm not sure where this summer has gone... so much work and the thrill of successes in the gardens... it just steals the hours away... Larry

RobinL said...

I am crazy about bright colors in my life, but every time I see a beautiful white garden like yours, I think I need one of those too!

marijke said...

Ohhhh how I wish I could climb on my bike and have a nice cup of tea in your heavenly paradise Carol. Last wednesday it was on the news that the population of butterfly's in Europe reduced with 50% since 1990. One of the important reasons, intensification of agriculture. I hope there will be a change some day.
Have a wonderful day I enjoyed my virtiual stay very much.

Andrea said...

Hello Carol, i've not been here for a while, but i also was not so up to date with my postings. You are very right in your description, it is really a "living landscape painting". We are so swayed with your beautiful descriptions, and we are really absorbed in your lovely writing style. If only i can write so well like you, oh i am envious. Some shots are so mystical and enchanting most specially the pinkish moon and the foggy photo. Oh how so beautiful, it is like heaven.

Lastly, how are you Carol. I wish you the best.

Sarah Laurence said...

White is often overshadowed by the flashier colors so it was fun to see it in the spotlight here. Your evocative words and photos are lovely. You capture the big moon low on the horizon so well.

sweetbay said...

I've missed seeing your gorgeous photography and all of the beauty that surrounds you. Wonderful.

Our photos said...

Beautiful photos!

Related Posts with Thumbnails