Thursday, September 30, 2010

A Gracious and Lovely Blogger Comes for Tea!



I am sure you all know the feeling . . .  when you meet someone, who immediately makes you feel comfortable and you somehow know will become a good friend in time. Well such was my feeling the minute I met Pat, author of the outstanding blog 'Commonweeder'. I was so taken by her beautiful blue eyes, generous spirit, delightful wit and relaxed, graceful nature. 


Pat is a writer  . . . has been a writer for a very long time. She writes for a local newspaper 'The Greenfield Recorder' and has her own column titled 'Between the Rows', which can be read on her blog each Saturday. Imagine writing a column every week for thirty years. 'Commonweeder'  is nearly three years old and is the reason I have the good fortune to have Pat walk into my life and gardens. Pat and I live about forty minutes from one another, though we may never have met . . .  if not for blogging. She calls her home in Heath 'End of the Road' and this is where she gardens, writes and bakes lots of cakes and pies. She arrives for tea offering one of her cakes and her reputation as a gourmet cook is not exaggerated. It was so light and delicious. 


After tea we walk about the gardens and into the south field, where I hope to share many Monarch butterflies flitting about the Asters. While walking, I learned more about Pats interesting life. She lived in China from 1989 - 1990 and again for a year in 1995, where she worked as an editor of an English language magazine titled 'Women of China.' Pat tells me the magazine offered an honest look of women's lives, at that time, in the past and going ahead . . .  changes that were occurring to improve their lives. The times that Pat was living in China gave her a different perspective on two major events . . . the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre and in 1995 the UN Women's Conference. She said "Both of those years opened my eyes in ways I could not have imagined about life in other countries." Pat was also sending essays back to the Greenfield Recorder during these years. I look forward to hearing more about this amazing journey Pat. 


Pat taught me that the way to bake the best apple pie is by using several different kinds of apples. I was happy to be able to offer her at least three varieties to take home. 


The field of Asters and Goldenrod were filled with thousands of wild Honeybees and we did see a few Monarchs at the farther edge of the field.




Pat quietly exclaimed when eyeing this Maple all painted in rich red hues hanging above the swaths of purple. The light was gone from the field, when we were walking . . . we were so engaged in conversation and cake that the time just flew by. I took these photos the next day, when the light was better.


Meeting a fellow blogger after getting to know them in the virtual world is such a treat. Having one so nearby is truly lucky and Pat I do hope we will have many times, where we visit sharing stories, tea and cake . . .  enjoying lovely walks. I feel so grateful for the blogging community that has brought us together. I will continue to enjoy Pat's blog 'Commonweeder'  . . .  for its great stories, reviews of books and happenings, as well as . . .  Pat's beautiful gardens in Heath. 


After Pat headed home to Heath and husband Henry, I spend the remaining hour or two of light enjoying the view and watching the moonrise over Walnut Hill. I feel honored and gently touched by a kindred spirit, while filled with gratitude for the special first day of autumn we shared.
 I had no idea when I started my blog, how much I would enjoy visiting other blogs and meeting in person other bloggers. This year I met three fellow bloggers. You might recall this post.  We are all so lucky to be able to reach out and touch one another's lives the globe over. To inspire one another and share our worlds. It would be great to have an early to midweek New England gathering someday . . . my work is mostly on the weekends so I miss those fun meet-ups. Pat and I discussed this during our visit and hope there is some interest out there. Let us know. As I am finishing this post, the rain is falling steadily and I rejoice in the sounds and needed drink it gives to the gardens and thousands of trees covering the hillside. If your landscape is parched, I hope you get the vital rainfall soon. 

23 comments:

Deborah at Kilbourne Grove said...

Carol, it is amazing what joys blogging brings us. So many wonderful 'internet' friends with common interests. I enjoyed your visit with Pat, she is a wonderful woman.

Ginny said...

How wonderful that you and Pat were able to have your own small "meet up" - and what a delightful setting for tea! I followed your link to Pat's blog and read her account of the afternoon as well.
I think that garden blogs bring together kindred spirits. My daughter, who is not a gardener or a blogger but does read my blog and all the comments, has been impressed by the kind and generous comments I've received. I told her that most garden bloggers want to share their love of nature and wildlife and that it's a supportive community - even for those of us who are relatively new at gardening and aren't able to take advantage of opportunities for face-to-face meetings with other bloggers.

Commonweeder said...

Like you I never imagined the friendships that were waiting for me when I began my blog. It was such a blessing to be able to walk through your garden with you, cameras in hand, and find that we not only live close to each other, but our hearts and minds experience the world in such similar ways. I look forward to more such afternoons - and to the possibility of a New England bloggers meet up. I think a meeting outside the weekend might work for many bloggers.

biobabbler said...

=) Lovely. And your garden looks a-MA-zing! I will be using multiple varieties of apples in my next pie--thanks for that hint. =)

joey said...

Kindred spirits ... two peas in a pod! A thoroughly delightful post, Carol. Thank you for including us in your delightful fall day.

COUNTRY GAL said...

Wonderful photos and post. I think its great that you two have such a wonderful friendship in person and on the blog and that it was blogging that brought you to together! Have a great day !

Randy Emmitt said...

Carol,
What a wonderful meeting and both of you being so much alike! I hope it will not be the last meeting with Pat, I'll be checking out here blog.

Maybe someday we'll meet and have tea together, I'd like that, but I live a little further away than 40 mins. I make the best chai tea from scratch you know, one day I'll post my recipe.

Benjamin Vogt said...

I'm just blown away by the views you have out back! At the tea table in the flower field? Very nice!

gardenwalkgardentalk.com said...

Carol,
It looked like a wonderful day in the garden, the maples changing right before your eyes, the asters color bouncing off the goldenrod. It was nice to meet Pat, like we were all invited along. Blogging has many rewards, the most important is the friendships.
Donna

Sophia Callmer said...

What a wonderful day you had together! So beautiful autumnpictures, the autumn lokks more gentle over in your part of the world, here is rather cold and windy. But the moon looks the same..
All the people you get in toch with trough the blog is just a gift! So many nice people and interesting stories.
I will now visit Pats blog.

kram Sophia

Muddy Boot Dreams said...

Carol, truly blogging is a wonderous adventure. I have been fortunate enough to meet 2 fellow bloggers in person, and they are both amazing. It certainly looks like you had a wonderful time. Did I see a camera on the table? Of course.

You asked me on my blog where we are moving to...Armstrong, BC. The Okanagan. When I see the photos of your farm, that's what is in my mind. Beautiful, rambling, free, and unfettered. The Bobcat well, I am not too sure about that.

Bootsie will come with us, I tried so hard to contact his people last November when he finally decided to adopt us as his forever people. They never returned emails, or phone calls, even though they lived right across the street. He has chosen us, and although he still rules our world, I wouldn't have it any other way.

I can't wait to have my own space, trees, garden, and wildlife.

Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

Edith Hope said...

Dearest Carol, Although I know that I am unlikely to meet up with you and your local bloggers in person, it will be wonderful to share the experience online. This is, indeed, the joy of the Blogosphere - connecting people thousands of miles apart or, as for you and Pat, bringing together neighbours who were unaware of each other's presence. How strange and yet powerful this virtual world is.

sweetbay said...

How nice that you were able to meet Commonweeder's author and get on so well! Your asters are beautiful. I wish I could see your farm in person.

africanaussie said...

How lovely to meet another fellow blogger in person! What a lovely tea you had out in the garden - there is nothing quite like a cup of tea shared between friends, and a delicious cake to boot. I will have to try that trick with the apples.

Layanee said...

I wish I had known how close you were to Pat when I visited her with my Mom in tow. She is a delight and a great cook. I loved your previous post on unexpected guests. If you are ever near western RI, stop in.

debsgarden said...

How wonderful to find a friend from the virtual world. Pat sounds like an interesting person with a kindred spirit to yours. I can imagine the two of you swapping stories; the time must have passed far too quickly.

Your garden, as always, is inspirational. And thanks for Pat's tip on the apple pie!

jeansgarden said...

Carol, This brought back wonderful memories of my own visit to Flower Hill Farm several months ago. It was delightful to see familiar parts of your wonderful garden in a different season. I, too, enjoy Pat's blog, so it was great to learn more about her. -Jean

Jean said...

Oh, you are lucky! I met Pat this summer in Buffalo and really enjoyed talking to her. And I'm sure Pat enjoyed her visit as well. So nice to live so close!

One said...

How wonderful to meet blogger friends for a cup of tea especially at a farm like yours. I love your farm and the wildlife that goes with it.

A wonderful person staying in a wonderful place. If Pat is as wonderful as you think she is, you got to be wonderful too. After all, like attracts like.

ann said...

Your fall colors are beautiful

PatioPatch said...

A wonderful garden for a meeting between two gracious and lovely bloggers! Thank you for sharing these moments of friendship

Laura

Kimberly said...

Carol, how wonderful for the two of you to hit it off so well! I looks and sounds as though you had a phenominal afternoon as well. Lovely spot for tea, I might add! Thank you for sharing your afternoon together!

Andrea said...

Maybe we can do these meetings also in this part of the world, like i have already blogger friends in Malaysia, who turned out to be friends of other friends. But aside from that, i really envy your area, especially those mountains of several colors! It is really my dreamscape!

Related Posts with Thumbnails