Friday, March 4, 2011

Birds in Review Part XXII 'A Bird Parade' Palm Warbler





I readily recall the excitement I felt when eyeing this beautiful Palm Warbler (Dendroica palmarum) for the first time in the lower branches of a waking apple tree. At first glance . . . more a flash . . . I mistook it for a Yellow Warbler until the more soft brown back and chestnut crown revealed themselves. It was the chestnut streaks in its breast that fooled me. 


















This colorful warbler is often seen in the lower branches of shrubs, trees and even on the ground chasing down insects. Palm Warblers are known for the constant bobbing of their tails but frankly I do not recall so much motion there. He was, however, hard to follow at times, as he flew from shrub to shrub. 









Canadians and Southern United States gardeners and birders will most likely know this songbird well. Palm Warblers tend to breed all across Canada and winter in the southern United States, as well as points further south. While I am writing this post, in fact most of my bird posts, I have another window open to allaboutbirds.org and have the song of the Palm Warbler playing. This would be a fun way to view these bird series post, if you have time. I do a good amount of research using my bird books and visiting other sites, but I always come back to this great bird site to help me share information regarding the different birds in my gardens. Perhaps some of you are seeing this sweet bird in your gardens now. Migrations are happening now and I must step up this promenade in order to get onto my butterfly and other wildlife parades, before spring finally arrives here. Monarch migration is happening too! Folks in Texas will be seeing many butterflies by now! Outside my windows it is still very cold and white with a deep carpet of snow stretching far and wide all across the land and forest.





Here in New England we are all beginning to feel burdened and bent over by winter's heavy load of cold and icy snow, though it is beautiful and I have a safe, warm place to create and feel free. Important and historic events have been occurring in so many countries, while I have had the luxury to create all my 'Birds in Review' posts. I want to dedicate this post and all of my 'Birds In Review' posts to those who are bravely standing up for their freedom and dignity. It is but a very small gesture. It feels very silly to complain about my winter inconveniences, when so many are losing their lives, while peacefully demonstrating for freedom or fighting for their rights to voice their concerns over working conditions and more. Frankly I am very excited for the movement of people the world over demanding their rights. If all people become truly engaged as citizens, we can make the world a better place. I am thankful for the freedom I have . . . to be able to create a wildlife habitat that so many beautiful creatures call home. I will continue voicing my concerns in letters and calls to Congress and the President, demanding protection for these precious lives and all life on our beloved earth. One would think that by 2011 we might have evolved as humans beyond the needs of peoples anywhere, to have to stand up for basic rights and democratic freedoms. If we are not careful and do not pay attention, we could lose our own. I am sharing something small and big today. Visit Katarina to see other gardens around the world.
Related Posts with Thumbnails