Monday, July 1, 2013

Gossamer Wings ~ Hairstreak


Hairstreaks somehow escaped my notice until this year . . .  or yesterday and today more like . . . when I discovered three different species in the south field. It is so peaceful to butterfly watch . . . I never think about all the things I might do to the garden . . . weeding and such . . . 'weeds' may be the very plant that keep these butterflies going. The songs of birds float along the breeze that softens and cools the air as I walk along the paths seeking out tiny butterflies.


Banded Hairstreak Satyrium calanus, feasting on Milkweed blooms.




Striped Hairstreak Satyrium liparops, on Milkweed.



Banded Hairstreak and a honeybee share feasting on Milkweed.





Striped Hairstreak above left ~ Banded Hairstreak above right


Gray Hairstreak Strymon melinus


I am taken by Hopkins words from his poem "Inversnaid"

"What would the world be, once bereft
  Of wet and wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
             Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet."

I will be adding more information about these intricate butterflies later on.  Meanwhile you can learn more about them by visiting Mass Audubon


Related Posts with Thumbnails