Friday, October 8, 2010

A Humming Blooming Friday



Glorious morning light filled Ipomoea 'Heavenly Blue' from a couple weeks ago . . . it is still too wet and cold in the garden.





All the rain has made it hard to be a morning glory or a butterfly! The landscape, however, is greatly appreciative for the much needed refreshment.


The now southern bound Ruby-throated hummingbirds enjoyed playing in the last blooms and seed pods of Impatiens Roylei. I have tried for years to capture more than one at a time. This day . . .  a couple of weeks ago . . . was my lucky day. Oh, how I wish I had a better camera. These first two (above and below) were taken through glass. They were not being territorial . . . these little juveniles are siblings . . . I wish I could have seen them in their nest! They are so sweet and it seems like they are sending wing hugs to one another. Now . . .  I know that is silly of me. 



As I opened the door, they moved over to the Thalictrum 'Lavender Mist' . . . a bit too far away for my camera. I do love seeing these two performing a duet days and weeks after they are no longer visiting the gardens. 





Today is Blooming Friday hosted by lovely Katarina over in Sweden. Be sure to visit her blog Roses and Stuff  to see other gardens from around the world. 

 I will be up to my neck in orchids for the next few days . . . zen inspired arrangements for a Sunday wedding. My work will keep me from taking part in the 10-10-10 global work parties. You can find out more about what might be happening in your area 350.org. Ninety five percent of all the flowers I have used this year in wedding work were grown either here or on neighboring farms. I love supporting other local farmers and it is best for the environment too. 
Have a lovely weekend!
Related Posts with Thumbnails